Friday, August 27, 2010

Results: MN State Fair 4-H show

I got a text message late last night from our 4-Her, Courtney, who is at the MN State Fair with a yearling heifer breeding project. It simply said: "Got reserve red heifer!"

I immediately called my dad to see if he heard the good news. Yep. He and Courtney had already discussed the competition and results. As my dad told me, "I told (Courtney) congratulations and that she deserved it," to which Courtney's reply was, "No Jack, you deserve it." Man, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it. It's not often that you find a 4-Her as humble and easy-going as Courtney. We like to tease her about the success she has had this year showing cattle, but it boils down to this: Courtney worked hard to learn about the breeding beef project, put in her time on the farm and at the fairs, and has found success. Everyone at Shady Oaks Farm is proud to create those types of situations for young people.

So, SHO Miss Queen 0914, a March 2009-born daughter of Cyr's Queen 1200 (cow) and LMG Gills Rattler (bull), did well at the MN State Fair. Placing second in a class of 7-8 head, and going on to capture 4-H Reserve Champion Red Angus Heifer.

Other kudos go out to the Philip Berg Family, it was Samantha Berg that had 4-H Champion Red Angus Heifer. Also, our hats go off to the Paul Fehrman Family; Christina Fehrman earned 4-H Champion Cow-Calf Pair. My dad has seen both of these competitor's cattle while at the Red River Valley Fair, and they are good! It's quite an honor to have known both Samantha and Christina before they were even 5 years old.

Allow me to make a trip down memory lane here. We haven't had a Reserve Champion 4-H heifer since 1999, the summer after my senior year in High School. I recall being so proud because it was the first heifer I exhibited that I also bred and raised from the great Bieber Marie A515 Cowline in our operation. Estatic, to say the least. We weren't accustomed to being an annual contender at that point in our lives; we were still young. I remember I had to miss freshman orientation at the University of Minnesota, Crookston; and a weekend of volleyball games, just to make it to the state fair.

Anyways - we'll be back to the state fair next week for the Open Show. Will update you if Courtney gets a call-back for Showmanship!

No comments: